Wednesday 12 November 2014

Making Your University Room Feel Like Home ♡

Hey guys!

If you're subscribed to my youtube channel then you may have recently seen my updated room tour, or my older one here. I also have a sneak peek room post on my blog too which you can find here.

I've recently moved out of student halls and into a house with 3 of my friends for my second year of university. I've been pretty much moved in since July now and I can definitely say it feels like home, I'm not sure if that's because I literally hoard all my things or I'm just quick at moving in....

Everytime someone has seen my room the response is always along the lines of "oh wow it looks so homely in here" or "wow you've got a lot of stuff".. either way, if it makes it feel like home then it's acceptable.. I think?

Anyway, here's just a little post on how you can get your room feeling like home if you're struggling a bit or missing home at uni. 


1. Home comforts - Now this one is kind of obvious really and I'm sure a lot of you reading this will have already done it. I found that when I moved in, it's great to buy all new things and have everything matching from your bedsheets to your socks. However, what I found helped me the most is bringing little sentimental things in, it could be a cushion you had at home, decorations you had up in your old room, photos of friends and family.. even a teddy that you've had since you were young (no one will judge you for it, trust me. If it makes you feel better, that's what matters right?)

2. Creating a space that you can feel relaxed in - This one is my favourite, I have a little bit of OCD with changing things round every couple of months, even if it's the smallest thing it can help me feel better. If you're in student halls then there probably is a few simple guidelines you have to stick to, but as long as you're not causing permanent damage, a little change never hurt anyone. I was fortunate enough in my halls to have my desk and bed not attatched to the wall which meant I was free to move things around. I know some halls aren't like this so there are other things you can do such as decorating with throws, cushions, posters, (if allowed), rugs etc. It will make it feel a lot more like your room and not like someone elses that you're just staying in, after all you will probably be there for most of the year.

 

3. Creating a space that you can work in - I'm a sucker for having organised work spaces and being inspired by the things around me. This is the workspace that I've currently got which I'm writing this blog post in;


If you create a space that helps you feel inspired when you work, you'll probably want to do it more. 

4. Create an ambience in your room - It's crazy how much fairy lights and candles can create a better atmosphere and lift your room. It's rare to see a students room without fairy lights! It gives a sense of calm and cosiness which is one of the little things that could help lift your mood. Which brings me onto my last point.

5. Appreciate the little things - This isn't so much about your room but uni life in general. It's good with the freedom of living on your own, the partying and meeting new people but sometimes it can get a bit much. The little things like sitting with your flatmates and just chatting for hours, making a brew for everyone or cooking a flat meal can make it feel so much more like home. It's the little things like that which you might realise you miss, even though you never thought of it as much. Your friends and flatmates can become like your second family and it's the small things that can lift you up when you're feeling the pressure.

Thanks for reading and I hope this helps!
Have an awesome day

No comments:

Post a Comment